Last month the folks at Del Real Foods invited bloggers in my area to enter their recipe challenge. (<<<<You can vote for me by clicking this link, thanks!!) I selected the ingredients I wanted to try, and they were kind enough to send them to me for free! I came up with three recipes, and this one is probably my favorite!
These Southwest Chicken and Waffles combine sweet corn tamales, with spicy grilled chicken. These 2 bite-waffles (one bite, if you are my husband) pair nicely with Bloody Mary’s or Mango Margaritas. They are fun to make, and sophisticated enough for social gatherings such as bridal showers, or Sunday brunch.
This is my first recipe contest and I was a little nervous about entering. Even if I don’t win, I came up with a great new appetizer to share with friends! Have you ever entered a recipe contest? Tell me in the comments below!
- 4 Del Real Foods Sweet Corn Tamales
- 4 Boneless skinless, chicken breast tenders
- 1/4 Cup Del Real Foods Salsa de Molcajete Roja, plus more for garnish/serving as desired
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup queso fresco
- Fresh Cilantro for garnish, optional
- Pre-heat grill to medium high;
- Pre-heat non-stick waffle iron
- Cover chicken in Salsa de Molcajete Roja, set aside.
- Prepare tamales according to package microwave instructions. Discard wrappers and allow to cool for 3 minutes-5 minutes.
- Add eggs
- Combine mixture, divide into 12 balls.
- Place balls 4 at a time in pre-heated waffle maker. Cook for 3 minutes, remove and cool on paper towel lined surface.
- Grill chicken for 5 minutes on each side. You may wish to grill on aluminum foil for easy cleanup. Alternatively, you can saute chicken in a non-stick pan on medium heat, for 6-8 minutes, turning half-way thru.
- Slice each chicken tender into 3 sections.
- Top each waffle with a piece of chicken, top with queso fresco, cilantro, and additional Salsa de Molcajete Roja as desired.
Disclaimer: I received free product compensation in exchange for creating recipes and entering the Del Real Foods Blogger Recipe Challenge.